Hate Crime

Hate Crime

Hate crime has a major impact on our society and affects not only the victim but also their family and friends, and anyone who has witnessed the incident.

Hate crimes and incidents occur when a person is targeted because of hostility or prejudice towards their:

  • disability
  • race or ethnicity
  • religion or belief
  • sexual orientation
  • transgender identity

This also includes a person's property and a victim does not have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted.  In fact, anyone can be a victim of hate crime and thousands of people in Britain experience it every year.

Unfortunately, many hate crimes are unreported and what begins as minor or verbal abuse or graffiti could, if ignored, get much worse for people.

There are lots of ways that hate crime can be reported:

  • by telephone - dial 999 to report emergency incidents, or 101 for non-emergency incidents;
  • by SMS emergency text;
  • in person at a police station;
  • in person to an officer on patrol.

If you don't feel ready to speak the the police, you can report hate crime:

You can also report it if you think you or somebody else is, or has been, a victim of hate crime.



Third Party Reporting Centres

Gwent Police, in partnership with local People First groups, has established over 20 'Talk About It' third party reporting centres for people with learning disabilities to report hate crime.  A learning disability hate incident or crime is anything that happens which you is motivated by someone's hostility towards a person's learning disability.

All of the centre staff have received training around hate crime, and have accessible forms that can be completed with the support of a member of staff. It is then the person's choice whether they would like the report to go to the police (although if there is a high risk of harm, it may mean the police have to be informed).

Reports can be made by the person themselves or by a friend, family member, or anyone else that has witnessed the incident. Please note that making a third party report does not replace contacting the police in the normal manner wherever possible (101 or 999) and should not be used in an emergency situation.